Finally! Release #7 is now out, nearly 7 months after the previous one. It has the most changes in TGGW in a new release so far. I really hope it will feel like a fun and fresh experience. You can download it here. I’m excited to hear what you think about this release!
Quick “what’s new” guide for those who played the earlier releases:
There are quite a lot of new mechanics to be aware of when starting Release #7. So here is a short list of important mechanics in case it is confusing in the beginning:
- You now start the game with the condition “dual wield” (with your fists). This gives you two attacks per turn. The dual wield status disappears as soon as you equip a melee weapon.
- You now start the game dealing non-lethal damage (again, with your fists). Non-lethal damage won’t kill monsters, just make them unconscious. Unconscious monsters will wake up again when you rest. To kill monsters permanently you have to wield a weapon that deals normal damage.
- Your fists will now appear as equipment, so you can see their effects. Wearing gloves may alter the attributes of your fists.
- You start the game with 7MP instead of 5. Having at least one hand unequipped gives +2MP. This +2 shows up as an equipment bonus on the character sheet.
- The background is now updating continuously when you are inactive. The game is still turn-based though. Fleeing and sleeping monsters will blink.
- There is now a chance that traps won’t trigger (and instead you will be able to pick them up). If you press ‘z’ you can see your percentage to “avoid traps”. This percentage is based on your ‘noise’ and ‘light’ attributes. Lower ‘noise’ and higher ‘light’ increases your chance to avoid traps. Known (detected) traps will blink.
- Some melee weapons now have “reach“. This means you can make a melee attack at a short distance with them. Target your monster and press ‘0’ to make a reach attack. The UI will give you a hint.
There are plenty of other changes, see the changelog for details, but these are the changes that makes the gameplay different from the start. The manual is not yet fully up to date, but it contains most of the new things already.